I've noticed my django-tagging install has been giving a lot of empty entries when doing a lookup on a tag. Tonight I finally got around to looking at what was causing this. This is surely not the best way to do this, but at 12:00am on a weekday, well, I shouldn't be doing it in the first place... I first wanted to see what type of content was generating the error:
for item in TaggedItem.objects.all(): try: print item.object except: print item.content_type_id
Now that I could see what was causing it (I had removed an app that used django-tagging, but it left the tags with empty pointers). Removing the empty tags was easy enough:
for item in TaggedItem.objects.all(): try: print item.object except: item.delete()
No more hanging TaggedItems.